Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
Posted: Nov 5, 2014
If you are an avid reader of BMI’s blog then you already know that a famous Starbucks’ Grande (medium) pumpkin spiced latte has a whopping 380 calories and 49g sugar. I’m sure this must have been quite a shocking and disappointing post for those of you (like me!) who look forward to the comforting sensation you feel from a warm latte on a crisp fall day.
Here is a homemade alternative that will not only save you the calories but also cash.
Ingredients (1 serving)
- 8 ounces (1 cup) brewed coffee
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (can also use cow’s milk or vanilla soy milk)
- 3 Tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tsp sweetener of choice (I use splenda)
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- In a cup or sauce pan, mix together almond milk and pumpkin. Cook on medium heat on the stove top or microwave for 30-45 seconds.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, spices and sweetener, place in a cup and use a frother to foam the milk. If you don’t have a frother you can also use a blender - just process for 30 seconds or until foamy.
- Pour coffee into a large mug, add the foamy milk mixture on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Enjoy!
Emily Spencer RD