Lentil Shepard's Pie
Posted: Mar 14, 2014
Classic comfort food that is completely vegetarian. You are going to need quite a lot of herbs and spices for this recipe, so be prepared.
- 1 large onion (fine dice)
- 5 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 3 stalks of celery (fine dice)
- 2 medium Carrots (fine dice)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (227g pkg.) of mushrooms (chopped)
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. herbes de Provence
- 1 tsp each rosemary, thyme and sage (fresh is best, but dried is fine)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cube organic vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (or ½ c of stock works well too)
- 2 cups dry lentils (soaked overnight )
- Approx. 3 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 7 large red potatoes
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Pepper
- Peel and boil potatoes in a large pot of water and while this is happening start preparing the lentil mixture (potatoes are done when they are fork tender).
- In a Dutch oven (or stockpot) sauté onion in olive oil until translucent, then add garlic, celery, carrots, mushrooms, and herbs and continue cooking for 6-8 minutes on low to medium heat.
- Deglaze your pot by adding the red wine (or stock) and let it deglaze for a minute or so, then add the water, tomato paste, veggie stock cube and drained lentils to the pot.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then turn it down to simmer with lid on med- low heat and cook until the lentils are tender ~20mins.
- About 5 minutes before the lentils are done cooking add in the frozen peas. If the mixture appears dried out at any point, just add more water.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper at this point.
- Mash your potatoes with milk, butter, salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Scoop your cooked lentil mixtures into a casserole, quiche dish or small lasagne pan and spread evenly, layer the mashed potatoes on top of the lentils and smooth out with a spatula.
- Place the dish into the oven and bake for ~30min or until potatoes have browned nicely on top.
Serve it with a green salad!
Makes ~10 servings.
Carbs ~ 71g
Fibre ~ 17g
Protein ~ 17g
Sodium ~ 358mg