Hand Made - Home Made Tortilla's
Posted: Oct 2, 2015
If you are a fan of tacos this will take them to the next level. Why? Because it is difficult to find tortilla's in the store that compare to the taste of fresh homemade corn tortilla's. Bonus, they are only ~50 calories per tortilla compared to ~100-200 calories the store bought provide. Masa (corn flour) can be purchased at many grocery stores in Ottawa.
Ingredients (~16 servings)
2 cups masa (corn flour)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups hot water
- Boil water in a kettle and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix the masa and salt in a large bowl, slowly add in the hot water.
- Mix all ingredients well and kneed the dough for 2-3 minutes.
- Let the dough rest in the bowl for ~10-15 minutes.
- Separate and form ~16 balls from the dough
- Flatten each ball out by placing a Ziploc bag over it and using a rolling pin to roll it out. Alternatively you could use a tortilla press. :)
- Place each tortilla in a cast iron or non stick pan on med heat for 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.