Posted: Jan 2, 2019
A new year and new goals. Whether it is a New Years resolution or an initial goal to start a healthier lifestyle, how do you set yourself up for success?
1. Reflecting on past experiences can help you realize what works and doesn’t work for you.
- What tools have you used in the past to stick to your intentions?
- Avoid the quick fixes that you may have tried in the past that are difficult to maintain
- Do you have a support network you can rely on in tough times?
- Have you written down your aims and told anyone what you hope to achieve? Putting them down on paper and saying them out loud can be helpful in making them stick
2. Before you jump into the “January 1st routine” of starting fresh, ask yourself these questions:
-Is the goal specific enough to know exactly what you are trying to achieve?
-Is it measurable?
-How attainable is it for you? Is it within reach or completely far fetched from where you are now?
-Is it realistic for your lifestyle right now?
-Are you putting a time limit/goal on it?
3. IS IT MAINTAINABLE? This may be one of the most important factors to keep in mind. In order to keep up with a new change or habit, it needs to be maintained for the long run. If you can realistically see yourself performing this habit for the next few years to the rest of your life, then the chances of it sticking are much greater.
Use these tips and key words to build your own S.M.A.R.T goals that will help you achieve the improvements you aim to make. Happy New Year!