If you are trying to reach your best weight, the holidays can be a stressful time. With so much delicious food at your fingertips it can be difficult to keep your healthy eating habits in check. Follow these tips to help you stay on track over Thanksgiving weekend.
- Don’t skip meals and snacks: You might be tempted to save up calories for your big Thanksgiving meal but eating balanced meals and snacks with protein and fibre throughout the day will help you stay in control of your appetite. Have a snack right before your head to the party so that you’re not famished when you get there. This will make it easier to pass up the appetizers that could easily cost you 500 calories or more.
- Be mindful of portions: Thanksgiving tables are usually filled with traditional family favourites. Before you start loading up your plate take a walk around the buffet table and decide what you’re going to choose. Serve yourself a reasonable portion of the foods that are really going to be worth the calories.
- Make sure your meal is colourful: Have you ever noticed that most of the foods we eat at Thanksgiving are brown in colour? Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy… Make sure that you fill half your plate with colourful vegetables. They are high in fibre and water so they leave you feeling more satisfied without costing you many calories.
- Savour every bite: Thanksgiving is all about being grateful for what we have. Eat slowly, putting your fork down between mouthfuls and appreciate every bite of that delicious meal. This way you are more likely to feel satisfied with just one plate full of food.
- Rethink your drink: Liquid calories don’t contribute to satiety and can add up quickly over the course of the day’s festivities. If you are drinking alcohol, consider enjoying some sparking water between drinks or using it to dilute juices.
Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your weekend and indulge in your favourite foods mindfully.