Posted: Jul 18, 2017
It’s the beginning of zucchini season! Here comes the grilled zucchini, zucchini bread, baked zucchini, zucchini noodles and so on…. but have you had this vegetable in a “meatball” form? Experiment with zucchini this summer and try out this recipe for delicious zucchini balls.
Nutrition info per serving: 230 cals; 7g fat; 13g protein; 33g carb; 5 g fibre
1 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/4 lbs zucchini, grated
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
3 tbsp chopped basil
1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese, grated (or cheese of your choice)
2 cups of your favourite tomato sauce
- Heat the oven to 375°F, prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat with non-stick spray.
- Place the olive oil in a large frypan over medium heat and sauté garlic until golden (~30 seconds). Add the grated zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook until all the water evaporates from the pan (~5 to 7 mins).
- Transfer zucchini to a colander and pat down to drain any excess water. Then transfer to a mixing bowl and add the bread crumbs, beaten egg, cheese and chopped basil.
- Form the mixture into 16 balls about 1 oz each and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until firm and browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Heat the tomato sauce in a large deep skillet or pot, add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve the zucchini balls and sauce with some crusty bread, whole wheat pasta or by themselves. Top with fresh basil leaves, ricotta or grated cheese if desired.